Home Forums Homework 12

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Diana Saillant
    Keymaster

1. Keep practicing your Listening Exercise for at least 30 minutes daily.

2. Continue to learn your vocabulary with the Memory Exercise (at least 30 minutes daily).

THE INTERPRETER’S TOOLBOX:

3. Go to Resources, SOP Recordings II. Listen to and answer the questions at the end of the following three Advocacy recordings:

#31.1

#31.2

#32.1

4. Retake the midterm without your notes.

Morgan Behrens
    Participant

When hearing the definitions of advocacy through the context of the National Code of Ethics and the glossary definition, initially they seem contradicting. In an interpreting role, advocacy empowers the interpreter to protect the health, well-being, and dignity of a patient. Although the glossary definition may lean towards what could be perceived as an impartial role, the glossary definition also states the importance of facilitating communication with the intention of good health outcomes. Ultimately, I believe the two definitions support each other, including the awareness that advocacy roles may change within different environments.

When I analyze the definitions of impartiality and indifference, what stands out to me the most is motive. Included in the core values of a professional interpreter, impartiality suggests that the interpreter should not offer advice or opinions to a client. However, this does not suggest that the interpreter does not care about the client’s best interest or maintaining the primary role, which is to facilitate understanding. On the contrary, when I hear indifference, it suggests lack of care or engagement. In an interpreting session, indifference could have a negative effect because of lack of care or not motivated to be an effective interpreter.

pediatric icu mother is distressed and anxious about treatment. physician talks and insists on talking directly without interpreter; limited spanish. she cannot understand yet he continues to speak in incomprehensible spanish. “i don’t understand”. interpreter tells doctor he doesn’t understand and ignores and continues. mother is more and more distressed. what should the interpreter do? to whom should she appeal?

In this particular encounter, it is clear that the interpreter must step into the advocacy role on behalf of the mother and the pediatric patient. Once the interpreter initially shares from the patient’s mother that she does not understand, the provider unfortunately ignores her. I believe the interpreter should pause the session and explain to the patient that the interpreter needs to speak with the provider privately to re-iterate their role as the interpreter. At this time, the interpreter should remind the provider that their primary role is to bring the non-English speaker to their level of understanding. If the interpreting session continues in a way which the mother continues to feel distressed due to the provider’s lack of awareness for her need for the interpreter, the interpreter should withdraw from the session and appeal to another individual on the treatment team expressing the issue and concern as well as personnel that would work with quality of care or ethics.

31.1 I believe advocacy is understanding and supporting the two definitions, protecting good health and well-being of the person while facilitating inparcial.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.