Home Forums Homework 11

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Diana Saillant
    Keymaster

1. Keep practicing your Listening Exercise for at least 30 minutes daily.

2. Continue to learn your vocabulary with the Memory Exercise (at least 30 minutes daily).

THE INTERPRETER’S TOOLBOX:

3. Using the P-Q-R-S Study Technique, read the following documents (under Resources). Bring your questions to class.

· Dental Hygiene
    · Getting It Right
    · Dress Code

4. Listen to and answer the questions to any recording in the SOP recordings I or II sections that we have not discussed or assigned for homework.

5. Read “Topics to Study for Final “Experiencia.”

Morgan Behrens
    Participant

Respect: 12.2

As an interpreter, it is important to uphold standards of practice such as respect. In this particular instance, the provider continues to refer to the patient in the third person. One strategy I would utilize to address this, is by responding in the first person so that the provider is reminded that the primary relationship is between them in the patient. Another strategy I would utilize is limiting eye contact. By limiting this, the provider would hopefully be reminded to speak directly to the patient using the first person. Lastly, if the above strategies weren’t effective, I would consider asking the provider to step outside of the patient’s room to express the importance of communicating with the patient in the first person and the interpreter’s role of being a conduit of information, not necessarily the main subject of the interaction.

Diana Saillant
    Keymaster

Excellent answer, Morgan. Keep up the good work.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.