Home Forums Homework 11

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Diana Saillant
    Keymaster

1. Keep practicing your Listening Exercise for at least 30 minutes daily.

2. Continue to learn your vocabulary with the Memory Exercise & Quizlet (at least 30 minutes daily).

THE INTERPRETER’S TOOLBOX:

3. Using the P-Q-R-S Study Technique, read the following documents (under Resources). Bring your questions to class.

· Dental Hygiene
    · Getting It Right
    · Dress Code

4. Listen to and answer the questions to any recording in the SOP recordings I or II sections that we have not discussed or assigned for homework.

5. Go to Resources and look for Final Experiencia Study Topics.  This document will assist in creating a schedule to begin studying for the final. There is a lot of material to cover so make sure to begin going over the material as soon as possible.

Silvia Ayala
    Participant

RESPECT SOP 11.1
    “Will you simply interpret this information?”
    In this scenario, the doctor introduces himself by his first name and also refers to his colleagues by their first names. In this case, the interpreter should continue to interpret because no one in the session is at risk of danger or disrespect. The interpreter is in the conduit role and should remain so unless the patient wants to address any cultural concerns regarding the doctor’s actions; then the interpreter can step into the clarifier role if needed.

“Among patients from other countries, is it common to refer to professionals by their first name?”
    From my experience, I think it is very rare and unprofessional to refer to physicians by their first name. I am used to saying “el Doctor Ramirez” for example, and even if the doctor insisted on using their first name I would still say “Doctor Juan”, “Doctor Juan Ramirez” or simply “Doctor”. I think a lot of Latin American cultures place professionals on a high pedestal and follow their orders strictly.

“How might this practice affect the patient’s perception of the provider and his/her competence”
    The patient might think that the doctor is unprofessional, and not as competent as his other colleagues. The patient could begin to feel nervous and doubt the doctor’s treatment. They could also even request to be seen by another doctor.

“Discuss whether or not to speak to providers about this type of situation. If so, do you think it is better to do so formally or informally?”
    I think it is very important to bring this topic up with the provider, most likely after the session. An interpreter must always reinforce the relationship between the provider and the patient, and I think telling the doctor about this topic can create a better understanding of their cultural differences and teach him how to make patients more comfortable and trusting.

Gisselle Cintron
    Participant

SOP I
    Respect 12.2

What can an interpreter do when a practitioner continues to refer to the patient in the 3rd person?

One of the things that that the interpreter can do to avoid this situation is to always have a pression with the provider and with the patient. There the interpreter can explain the importance of speaking directly to the patient. This avoids confusion and improves the relationship between the provider and the patient, and helps the patient feel more comfortable and respected. Another thing that the interpreter can do if the provider does it, even after the pre-session, is to stop the session and speak with the provider outside of the room and reminding him the importance of treating the patient with respect and to continue with the session speaking directly to the patient.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.